- 1984-1987 English Literature BA Hons, University of Sheffield
- 1993 Licentiate Diploma in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, Trinity College, London
- 1995-1996 Master of Arts in Education in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, Institute of Education, University of London
- 2006-2011 Doctor in Education, Institute of Education, University of London, Field of Research: Second Language Academic Writing and Publishing
- 2014 Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Feb 2012 - Now: English Lecturer and Course Coordinator "English C2", English Department, University of St Gallen, St Gallen, Switzerland. Coordinating and teaching the course "English C2". Teaching contextual studies courses: "Writing Skills for Academic Purposes" and "Writing Your Bachelor's Thesis"
- Jan 2001 - Feb 2016: Business English Lecturer and Module Coordinator, School of Management, University of Applied Sciences, ZHAW; Winterthur, Switzerland. Teaching courses in Business English and Academic Writing
- Oct 2000 - Feb 2014: EAP Lecturer, Language Centre, ETH/Uni Zurich, Switzerland. Teaching courses "Introduction to Writing at a Doctoral Level", "Writing Research Papers for Publication", "Writing your Master’s Thesis"
- Nov 1999 - Dec 2000: Head of Languages, KS Kaderschulen, St Gallen,Switzerland. Managing languages department of large private Business School in Eastern Switzerland. Overseeing administration, staff direction and appraisal. Teaching Business English and Academic and Study Skills on MBA programme
- Nov 1998 - Nov 1999: Director of Studies, St Giles Language School, St Gallen, Switzerland. Managing medium-sized private language school. Developing courses, overseeing administration, syllabus design, staff direction and appraisal
- Jul 1995 - Nov 1998: EAP Lecturer and Pre-sessional Course Coordinator, English Language Unit, SOAS, London University. Teaching on Full-time Diploma in EAP, Pre-sessional course, In-sessional course, English for Lawyers. Developing self-access centre
- Sept 1993 - Jul 1995: Assistant Director of Studies and Business English Teacher, Hampstead School of English, London. Helping set up self-access learning centre. Teaching courses in Business English and English for Nurses