||• 2018 Les B. Strickler Innovation in Instruction Award, awarded by the American Risk and Insurance Association.
• 2018 SCOR Actuarial Price for the Best Papersubmitted to the IRFRC & APRIA 2018 Joint Conference.
• 2017 Selection as one of eight most relevant papers for the 40 year anniversary special issue of the Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance for “Insurability in Microinsurance Markets: An Analysis of Problems and Potential Solutions,” in: Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance, Vol. 37, 2012, No. 1, pp. 77–107 (with Christian Biener).
• 2016 Nomination for the SCOR/EGRIE Young Economist Best Paper Award, European Group of Risk and Insurance Economists (with Alexander Braun and Semir Ben-Ammar).
• 2016 Les B. Strickler Innovation in Instruction Award, awarded by the American Risk and Insurance Association.
• 2016 JIR Article of the Year, awarded by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners for "Basis Risk, Procyclicality, and Systemic Risk in the Solvency II Equity Risk Module," in: Journal of Insurance Regulation, Vol. 33, 2014, No. 1, S. 1-39 (with David Pankoke).
• 2015 Early Career Scholarly Achievement Award, awarded by the American Risk and Insurance Association
• 2015 Nomination for the Credit Suisse Best Teaching Award of the University of St. Gallen (nominated by the students).
• 2014 Shin Research Excellence Award, awarded by the International Insurance Society for “Insurability of Cyber Risk: An Empirical Analysis” (with Christian Biener and Jan Wirfs).
• 2014 Best Article, awarded by the Casualty Actuarial Society for “Do Underwriting Cycles Matter? An Analysis Based on Dynamic Financial Analysis”, published in: Variance, Vol. 6, 2012, No. 2, pp. 131–142 (with Sebastian Marek).
• 2013 Best Perspectives Article, awarded by the American Risk and Insurance Association for “What Do We Know About Market Discipline in Insurance?”, Risk Management & Insurance Review, Vol. 15, 2012, No.2, pp. 185-223.
• 2013 Highly Commended Award Winner for 2012 for "Market-Consistent Embedded Value in Non-Life Insurance: How to Measure It and Why", in: Journal of Risk Finance, Vol. 13, 2012, No. 4, pp. 320-346 (with D. Diers, C. Kraus and A. Reuss).
• 2011 Kessler Preis 2010 for “The Performance of Hedge Funds and Mutual Funds in Emerging Markets”, in: Journal of Banking & Finance, Vol. 34, 2010, No. 8, pp. 1993–2009 (with Roger Faust).
• 2010 Kooperationspreis Wissenschaft-Wirtschaft 2010 (University of Ulm), awarded for the cooperation with the Microinsurance Network, Luxembourg, part of the project "Microinsurance and Efficiency in the International Insurance Industry" (funded by the German Research Foundation DFG).
• 2010 Lehrbonus für das Jahr 2010, awarded by the senate of the University of Ulm for excellence in teaching (nominated by the students).
• 2010 Spencer L. Kimball Award, awarded by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners for “An Overview and Comparison of Risk-Based Capital Standards,” in: Journal of Insurance Regulation, Vol. 26, 2008, No. 4, pp. 31-60 (with Ines Holzmüller).
• 2009 Best Article, awarded by the Casualty Actuarial Society for “Management Strategies and Dynamic Financial Analysis,“ in: Variance, Vol. 2, 2008, No. 1, pp. 52-70 (with Thomas Parnitzke and Hato Schmeiser).
• 2008 Best Perspectives Article, awarded by the American Risk and Insurance Association for “The Solvency II Process: Overview and Critical Analysis,” in: Risk Management & Insurance Review, Vol. 10, 2007, No. 1, pp. 69-85 (with Hato Schmeiser and Joan T. Schmit).
• 2006 Acatis-Value-Preis (second place) for dissertation thesis “Hedgefonds-Strategien und ihre Performance im Asset Management von Finanzdienstleistungsunternehmen“.
• 2003 Best of 118 alumni with degree “Diplom-Kaufmann“ at the University of Münster in summer 2003, awarded with the zeb/rolfes. schierenbeck-Award.